Monday, August 10, 2009

07-22-04: But Except In Dreams You're Never Really Free

"Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" is a traditional folk song made popular by Joan Baez.  Robert Plant and Jimmy Page were big fans of Joan Baez, so they recorded it for the first Led Zeppelin album.  I put them back-to-back on this mix from five years ago.

Other stuff: Quasimoto's music-obsessed "Return Of The Loop Digga", Dennis Coffey's funky "Theme From 'Black Belt Jones'", a demo version of "Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard" by Paul Simon, Tom Petty & The Heartbrekers' jangly "American Girl", the cowbell-inflected "Traveling At The Speed Of Thought (remix)" by The Ultramagnetic MCs, the similarly cowbell-inflected "Honky Tonk Women" by The Rolling Stones, Morrissey's dramatic "Irish Blood, English Heart", Ghostface Killah's melodic "Stay True", Louis Jordan and Louis Armstrong's playful "(I'll Be Glad When You're Dead) You Rascal You", the gentle "Sitting By The Riverside" by The Kinks, Soundgarden's heavy "Black Hole Sun", Afrika Bambaataa and The Soul Sonic Force with the robotic "Planet Rock", the smooth "Easy" by The Commodores with Lionel Richie, D.N.A.'s remix of "Tom's Diner" by Suzanne Vega, John Holt's cover of The Beatles' "I Will", the witty "Can't Stand Losing You" by The Police, Kool & The Gang's bouncy "Get Down On It", the sweet "Summer Breeze" by Seals& Croft, Warren Zevon's forlorn "Desperados Under The Eaves", and Duke Ellington's haunting "Lament For Javanette - Take 1A".

Return Of The Loop Digga Quasimoto