Saturday, August 22, 2009

08-03-06: I Keep My Shit Hidden Like Bin Laden

This mix from a few years ago features a great reggae cover of "I Wish It Would Rain" by The Cougars as well as the original by The Temptations. Other Motown-related stuff here includes the instrumental of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Motown house band The Funk Brothers.

Other stuff: the cinematic "Crime Is Money" by Real Live, Bob Dylan's earnest "Song To Woody", Todd Snider's sly "Conservative Christian, Right Wing, Republican, Straight, White American Male", the Stevie Wonder rarity "If I Ruled The World", a cover of Prince's "When U Were Mine" by Yo La Tengo, Holy Shit's breezy "Written All Over Your Face", Slade's rocking "Cum On Feel The Noize", the ferocious "Political Songs For Michael Jackson To Sing" by The Minutemen, Jackie Mittoo's cover of Seals & Crofts' "Summer Breeze", early GZA track "Pass The Bone", Hugh Masekela's danceable "Joala", the hypnotic "I Got Grapes (remix)" by Nump featuring M.I.A., the pleading "Beast Of Burden" by The Rolling Stones, a Madlib remix of "Home Turf" by Charizma, the silly "Woodrow's Song" by Tracy Morgan and Kate Hudson, Dudley Perkin's funky cool "Testin' Me", Bing Crosby's sweet "Too-La-Roo-Loo-Ral (That's An Irish Lullaby)", a live version of the haunting standard "Laura" by Charlie Parker at Birdland, and Grant Lee Phillips' acoustic cover of "Love My Way" by The Psychedelic Furs.

Crime Is Money Real Live