Tuesday, August 25, 2009

08-21-03: Somebody Thought Of That And Someone Believed It

This is the very first weekly mix I made in this series, six years ago.

It is not the first mix of music I've ever assembled. First with cassettes, then CDs, I made music mixes for friends, girlfriends, and even ex-girlfriends who wanted access to whatever I was listening to.

Once my music library went digital and became so expansive, making these mixes served the purpose of putting aside stuff I really liked. 

On my first entry in this blog, I explained my maniacal mission to archive all of these weekly dated mixes this year while adding a new one once a week.

This first one was all cover songs, and I soon abandoned any cute concepts or themes.  But this is a pretty good collection of music. And that's been the goal ever since.

So, this goes: Al Green covering The Beatles' "I Want To Hold Your Hand",  Afghan Whigs covering TLC's "Creep", Sonic Youth covering The Carpenters' "Superstar", Kellee Patterson covering Barry White's "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little Bit More", a live version of Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" by Donny Hathaway, a live version of The Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" performed by PJ Harvey and Bjork, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles covering The Beatles' "And I Love Her", Wilson Pickett covering The Beatles' "Hey Jude", Stevie Wonder covering The Beatles' "We Can Work It Out", The Breeders covering The Beatles' "Happiness Is A Warm Gun", Edwin Starr covering George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord", The Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses" by The Flying Burrito Brothers, Cat Power's cover of "Wonderwall" by Oasis, Bob Dylan's version of Elvis Presley's hit "Can't Help Falling In Love", Grant Lee Buffalo's cover of "We've Only Just Begun" by The Carpenters, Cassandra Wilson's cover of U2's "Love Is Blindness", Brad Mehldau's cover of Radiohead's "Paranoid Android", and Willie Nelson's version of "Rainbow Connection" from the Muppet Movie originally performed by Kermit The Frog.