Saturday, August 22, 2009

08-10-06: Wherever He Laid His Hat Was His Home

The Temptations are featured prominently on this mix from a few years ago. First, there is a rare a capella version of their hit "My Girl".  Among the many covers of their work on here is a live version of that song by Rashaan Roland Kirk.  Other Temptations covers here include: The Rolling Stones version of "Ain't To Proud To Beg", a live take of "(I Know) I'm Losing You" by The Faces, and a reggae take of "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" by The Pioneers.

Also, I have a rare version of The Temptations singing with The Supremes on the Herb Alpert standard "This Guy's In Love With You".

Other stuff: Nicky Thomas' reggae cover of George Harrison's "Isn't It A Pity", Chaka Khan's smash hit cover of Prince's "I Feel For You" featuring Stevie Wonder on harmonica and a guest rap by Melle Mel, The Smashing Pumpkins' atmospheric "1979", the swinging "London" by Noonday Underground, a live cover of The Mamas & The Papas' "California Dreamin'" by Bobby Womack, Wanda Jackson's feisty "Fujiyama Mama", the posthumously released "Fire (Dirty Dirty alt ver)" by Ol' Dirty Bastard, a bizarre Latin cover of Wu-Tang Clan's C.R.E.A.M. by a group called Wu_-Tang Latino, the gorgeous "Sometimes Always" by The Jesus & Mary Chain with Hope Sandoval, the melancholy "Walk Away Renee" by The Left Banke, George Harrison's mournful "Isn't It A Pity", Big Star's wistful "Nightime", early Tom Waits ballad "Looks Like I'm Up Shit Creek Again" and R.E.M.'s bitter "Country Feedback".

My Girl (a cappella)  The Temptations