This mix from last year is bookended with two Randy Newman songs: Etta James' seductive take of "Let's Burn Down The Cornfield" and Newman's own devastating "I Want You To Hurt Like I Do". His performance here has always reminded me of Ray Charles, so it is preceded on this mix by Ray's "Hard Times (No One Knows Better Than I)".
Also featured on this mix is The Yo La Tengo song "Decora". In addition to the original, I have an acoustic take and a cover by Spoon.
RZA's "You Can't Stop Me Now" heavily samples "Message From A Black Man" by The Whatnauts. On this mix, I included the fuzz-guitar cover of that song by The Temptations.
Other stuff: the Outkast reunion track "Royal Flush" featuring Big Boi and Andre 3000, The Teen Kings featuring a very young Roy Orbison on a version of the Marty Robbins hit "Singing The Blues", Red Red Meat's reflective "Braindead", Marlene Dietrich's dramatic "Ton Regard", Dusty Springfield with the Dusty In Memphis-era "Goodbye", Charlene And The Soul Chilrdren with the bittersweet "Love Changes", Kool G Rap & DJ Polo with Big Daddy Kane on the relentless "Raw", Rudy Green & His Orchestra with the sly "Buzzard Pie", The Notorious B.I.G. with DMC on the menacing "Downfall", Donovan's blissful "West Indian Lady", the chilly "Saved By Zero" by The Fixx, the inspiring "If The Light Has Gone Out In Your Soul" by Ernest Phipps & His Congregation, The Replacements outtake "Learn How To Fail", and Tammy Wynette's timeless "Stand By Your Man".