A few Beatles-related songs on this mix from five years ago. There's a cover of their "Here Comes The Sun" by Grant-Lee Phillips, John Lennon's early solo ballad "Look At Me" and Claudine Longet's medley cover of Lennon's compositions "Jealous Guy" and "Don't Let Me Down", the latter with the Beatles.
The Replacements once had the cheeky sense of humor to name one of their albums after a famous Beatles album: Let It Be. From that album, I've included the deeply empathetic "Sixteen Blue". Also on this mix is their fan note to the leader of Big Star, "Alex Chilton". From that band, I have on here the tender "Thirteen".
Other stuff: the determined "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" by The Animals, Glen Campbell's wistful "Galveston", Dorothy Ashby's groovy "Soul Vibrations", the rhythmic "Once In Lifetime" by Talking Heads, MF Doom's collaboration with Kool Keith on the Viktor Vaughn track "Doper Skiller", Mudhoney's blistering "Touch Me I'm Sick", Van Halen's rollicking "Panama", the reflective "Glad And Sorry" by The Faces, the sweet "Row My Boat" by The Four Mints, Tom Waits' wry "Misery Is The River Of The World", Novelle Vague's cover of Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart", Neil Young & Crazy Horse with the epic "Change Your Mind", the ominous "Play With Fire" by The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash with the traditional "Come Take A Trip On My Airship", and Ray Charles with the resolute "I Believe To My Soul".