Saturday, August 22, 2009

08-12-04: We Can Take Forever Just A Minute At A Time

The Langley Schools Music Project is a collection of recordings made by students at Canadian schools in the mid 70s, singing popular songs of the day.  It was reissued as a cd a few years before I made this mix five years ago and I must have been excited enough to include two of their songs: a spooky cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity" and a haunting take of Fleetwood Mac's "Rhiannon".  They are buffeted by Fleetwood Mac's cautionary ballad "Gold Dust Woman" and the Bowie instrumental "Speed Of Life".  

I also included the hilarious Ricky Gervais snippet from his show The Office called "Spaceman" which sounds like a parody of Bowie.

Other stuff: the frantic "B.O.B." by Outkast, Clash remix "Radio Clash", PP Arnold's chipper "Everything's Gonna Be Alright", Ultrmagnetic MCs' swaggering "Break North", the odd futuristic Rolling Stones ballad "2000 Man", the airy "More Than A Woman" by The Bee Gees, Digable Planets' assured "Where I'm From", a live version of "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green, Barbara Lewis' sweet "Baby I'm Yours", Tammy Wynette's rueful "D-I-V-O-R-C-E", the regretful "Things We Said Today" by The Beatles, Spyder Turner's bittersweet "I Can't Wait 'Til I See My Baby's Face", the spooky "Eyes Without A Face" by Billy Idol, the groovy "Time Of The Season" by The Zombies, Destroyer's chilly "Certain Things You Ought To Know", and Sun Ra's sly "Nuclear War".

B.O.B. Outkast