Wednesday, August 12, 2009

07-29-04: I Only Wanted More Than I Knew

This mix from five years ago starts off with a couple songs from side 2 of The Beatles' Abbey Road album: "Because" and "You Never Give Me Your Money".  The last song on here is a rare a cappella version of "Because" off the Beatles Anthology series.

Other stuff: the grogeous "Everybody Is A Star" by Sly & The Family Stone, the catchy "Fu-Gee-La (Refugee Camp Mix)" by The Fugees, the ruminative "When I Was Young" by The Animals, GZA's eerie "Investigative Reports", The Zombies with a breathy take of the standard "Summertime", Leon Russell's Rolling Stones cover "Wild Horses", Neil Young's dire "Powderfinger", the anguished "She's So Cold" by The Rolling Stones, Elton John's Thom Bell-produced "Mama Can't Buy You Love", Betty Davis' funky "Your Mama Wants You Back", The Notorious B.I.G.'s morose "Suicicdal Thoughts", Lenny Kravitz's bittersweet "All I Ever Wanted", Iggy Pop's romantic "Beside You", the charming "Love Street" by The Doors, the innocent "Love On A Two-Way Street" by The Moments, Bob Dylan's early bootleg "I Was Young When I Left Home", an alternate mix of the reflective "Where Are We Going?" by Marvin Gaye and Liz Phair's ambivalent "Strange Loop".

Because The Beatles