Wednesday, August 12, 2009

07-31-08: There's Dust In All Their Hearts

This mix from last year begins with a spare cover of Talking Heads' "Road To Nowhere" by The Editors.  Later in the mix, I've included the original as well.

Other songs that are duplicated here include a brief live snippet of "Misty Mountain Hop" by The Replacements along with the original by Led Zeppelin and the standard "The Carioca" by Caetano Veloso as well as the version used in Kentucky Fried Movie by Jo Stafford and Paul Weston.

Other stuff: Richie Havens with a cool cover of The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again", Hank Snow's mournful hit "(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I", Darlene Love's sweet Phil Spector-produced "(Today I Met) The Boy I'm Gonna Marry", Sylvia's seductive "Gimme A Little Action", Joe Bataan's modest "Ordinary Guy", the snotty "Blister In The Sun" by The Violent Femmes, a live version of "John, I'm Only Dancing" by David Bowie, a Diplo mix of "China Girl" by M.I.A., A Tribe Called Quest's Lou Reed-sampling "Can I Kick It?", Stephen Malkmus' hook-filled "Jo Jo's Jacket", the funky "Runnin" by The Pharcyde, Nina Simone's take of the Frank Sinatra anthem "My Way", Grant Lee Buffalo's melancholic "Mockingbirds", Janis Ian's tender "At Seventeen" and a rare acoustic take of "Love My Way" by the Psychedelic Furs.

Road To Nowhere The Editors